Job Description Builder / Building team
Location of job: Kapuna Hospital, Papua New Guinea
Timing of job: March 2018 - March 2020
Duration of job: Depending on your wishes – a few weeks up to 2 years
Remuneration: volunteer allowance and coverage of expenses
Kapuna hospital was built in the early 1950’s. Ever since there has been little money to do major renovations. Therefore Kapuna has looked for funding to thoroughly renovate its facilities, including its hospital and ancillary buildings, a floating wharf, a solar system and renewed water management. This project will most likely be funded with Australian money and therefore we need professionals on the ground to help us carry out this large project.
As a builder or building team you will be responsible for:
- Renovating the building according to the plans
- Building new building according to the plans
- Make sure all buildings comply with PNG standards
- Do onsite training with local builders and trainees as needed
- Be responsible for work safety for yourself and your team
- Work together with the local builders as one team
- The supplies and materials; all should be used and stored appropriately
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a volunteer with experience in building projects and knowledge of materials. Preferably you have experience in building with local material (mainly timber). In order to live and enjoy life in this remote place, it would be good if you are flexible and able to cope with different living conditions. Other than that we are hoping that you are a committed Christian who is open to have fellowship with our community.
What we can offer
If you want to take this unique opportunity to serve in a remote and very needy place of the world, you will not regret it. Kapuna is a beautiful village in the dense bush of PNG with only waterways and airstrips in the vicinity to make travel arrangements. We will make sure you enjoy your stay and can offer the following:
- Visa arrangements
- One return flight to Port Moresby from your home
- Travel Port Moresby-Kapuna
- Volunteer allowance of 700 kina per fortnight
If you are ready for an adventure and you feel this is your call, just let us know and we'll share more information.